Hits

Monday, May 5, 2008

The "pink thing".....

This morning I was with a small group of 4th graders, working on individual research projects. Fourth graders are always curious about something, or so it seems. Here is today's question of the day.....

One of the boys asks me, "Ms. S, you know those pink things that dogs have? Do Alligators have a pink thing?"
Me (not quite listening as hard as I should): what pink things?
4th grade boy: "you know, when boy dogs roll over and their pink thing comes out. Does that happen to alligators too?"
Me: OH. I think when you say "pink thing", you mean "penis" or male reproductive organs
Boys: giggling (when I said the word penis)
Me: This is an educational opportunity and we are researchers. There is no reason to be embarrassed when we discuss reproduction, because it is a part of nature. If there was no reproduction, life could not carry on and we would have no more animals. As far as male alligators go, I am not sure the answer to your question, but I can try to find it".

So after a little research on Google, we discovered that Alligators do in fact, have a penis. It is just hidden internally except during the act of mating.... I will spare you and NOT post the graphic picture of the male alligator sexual organs!!!!

No comments: