Hits

Friday, April 18, 2008

Sometimes Kids can be Inappropriate.....

A few months ago I was in a 3rd grade classroom, teaching a mini-lesson for writing. The topic of the mini lesson was on adjectives......you know, descriptive words.
To get the kids thinking about what adjectives are, I had them give me some words to describe kids... they said things like:
"smart"
"playful"
"funny"
Next I had them give me some words to help describe animals. They said things like:
"hairy"
"stinky"
"wrinkly"
And then I call on D, a child who at times can be inappropriate. His comment?
"Those gorillas have big ole' titties!"
I watched the mouth of his classroom teacher drop, and tried quick to compose myself.
My response:
"One thing that makes mammals so special is their ability to feed their babies milk, but we should refer to those body parts as the mammary glands".
Whoa!!

No comments: